Plumbing Installation On A New Northern Beaches House
- The washing machine must be level and all four feet should be in firm contact with the floor.
- Each foot is adjustable but normally it is only necessary to adjust one of the front feet to achieve stability. Failure to make the washing machine level may affect stability and vibration.
- Use a spirit level sitting on top of the machine to check the level before use.
- Ensure the drain hose (hooked pipe) is secured to the rear of the machine with support clips and route to the right or left as required.
- Care must be taken that the washing machine hose is not obstructed, twisted or that the end of it is not submerged in water. If the hose is connected with an airtight joint, provision should be made to prevent self siphoning.
Washing Machine Plumbing
Tips & Warnings
- Check with your local building and plumbing codes and regulations before beginning work. Obtain any required permits or use licensed or qualified tradesman as required. There are plumbing rules.
- Ensure branches, tees, elbows, trap and standpipe fit together correctly before gluing (solvent cementing) the joints together. Once the solvent cement dries, the connections cannot be loosened, moved or adjusted. Ensure that you do not work yourself into a corner or end up with two fixed points.
- Check that the washing machine space or room has a floor drain or the floor grades to the outside of the house. This will prevent your home from flood and damage should the washing machine overflow or leaks.
- Ensure the flexible drain hose from the washing machine rises above the rim level before dropping again and discharging over the stand pipe or laundry tub connection. This prevents self siphoning of the wastewater.
- Do not over-tighten the washing machine connections by using tools – hand tight is sufficient to prevent leaks
Tools and Materials You May Need
- PVC tubing
- PVC Junction
- brackets and clips
- Screws and fasteners
- Reciprocating saw
- Utility knife
- 90-degree PVC elbow
- 50mm (2-inch) diameter PVC standpipe drain with trap assembly
- PVC solvent glue and primer
- Basic carpentry tools
- Soldering tools / PEX tools
- Washer Box
- Plumbing Permit/license may be required in your area
Further Help Needed!
The plumbing connection for a washing machine is a fairly straightforward process. Contact A Northern Beaches Plumber for help with all your plumbing needs. A person of a moderate “handyman” should be able to accomplish this task. This blog describes some basic rules, rough-in information and images to assist you. If you encounter any problems along the way, just ask for help in our Plumbing Forum (coming soon).